Pendleton: St. George Plaza

Pendleton StGeorge

As the tallest building in Pendleton, the St. George Plaza dominates Main Street in downtown Pendleton. Built in 1900 as the two-story St. George Hotel, owners changed its Italianate style to art deco in the 1930s and added more stories. The now six-story structure was purchased in 2009 by a private developer who proceeded to refurbish the building from top to bottom as a downtown apartment complex. Improvements included removal of walls, then reconfiguration of living units, installation of new kitchens, bathrooms and building technology, a new external fire escape and façade renovation. A restaurant and lounge opened on the ground floor.

Funding/Leverage

  • Total project cost for exterior renovations: $1.6 million
  • Urban renewal funding from the Pendleton Development Commission was $443,723
  • Bank financing: $1,114,198

Community Benefits

  • Provided jobs through private contractors
  • Contributes to the historic fabric of the historic district in which it is located
  • Provides 26 market-rate living units in downtown Pendleton, supporting downtown merchants and restaurants
  • As of 2016 downtown commercial occupancies are at 96%
  • St. George has remained at 100% occupancy

Download Project PDF